Friday, September 26, 2008

You have your hands full!

Let me preface this blog with: I am actually in a very good mood, I love my children and I am thankful for them every day. But...

When I am out and about with Cole, Katie and Sean, I must hear "You have your hands full!" probably about every other person. So if I walk past 30 people in the grocery store while shopping, I hear that phrase about 15 times. I am NOT exaggerating! The other 15 that don't say it, stop to talk about the twins. I feel like a walking circus sometimes. I have told my husband about all the attention, but he is not usually with me so he doesn't experience it firsthand. It doesn't help that I have completely beautiful and charming children! (No Mama bias here.)

Alex will tell me it's not that bad. Yeah, because when he is with me not as many people talk to us, since they don't want to interrupt our conversation. I love having someone with me! Not for the extra pair of hands, I have my routine so I'm good handling all 3 alone. But I've noticed, when I am talking to someone, I don't get stopped as often.

When Alex gets home from work he will ask, "So what did you do today?" He means, "So how was your day. Were the kids good, do you have any funny stories to share? I love you and the kids and just really want to know."

But because it can take so long to get anything accomplished, I hear, "This house is a mess, the kids are fussing, need to be fed and diapers changed, the place looks worse than when I left this morning and you need a stiff drink. Are you making dinner, because I am hungry now that I bring my lunch in and I don't smell anything cooking." I know that is just my inner crazy, but I have my hands full!

So if you see a crazy looking lady with twins and a three year old in tow, please do not tell me her she has her hands full. She already knows.

4 comments:

  1. You have your hands full! Especially when your crazy friend loses her mind and calls YOU for comfort! LOL

    Have a great weekend, hun! (even though I'll probably talk to you later anyway)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can SO relate to this post. I always hear the "hands full" line, especially when I have all 4 girls with me. I even overheard a lady say as she passed by me, "OMG, she's got twins. I'd kill myself."

    A woman who also had twins once told me that she always wanted to get a T-shirt that said, "YES, my hands ARE full!" because so many people said that to her every day. I will never use that phrase to anyone. I will either say, "Your kids are beautiful" with a smile, or keep my mouth shut (and still give the mom or dad a big smile).

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first, I used to love when people would come up and comment and want to talk but, at this point in time, I just don't want to make the time anymore to have a long-winded conversation with complete strangers. I get the stares too...I enter a room and I feel people staring at us. I try to take it all in stride...people are just curious and want to know the details. But it can be unnerving, especially when you're in a hurry and you have all the kids whining and wanting to move along!

    ReplyDelete